Back to top

Marlpool Junior School


Who do I talk to about my child's difficulties with learning and/or special educational needs and/or disabilities?

Your child's class teacher is responsible for checking the progress of your child. Class teachers write Individual Education Plans (IEP) which state clear, small step targets; these should be shared with parents termly. 

The SENDCO (Miss Cooper) is responsible for :

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are

i) involved in supporting your child’s learning

ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting

iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.


  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

If I am concerned about my child's progress, who can I speak to?

In the first instance, talk to your child's class teacher who can make adaptions to their teaching, give extra support through small group work or request further resources to support your child. 

This will usually help to support your child in making progress, however if further support is needed contact Miss Cooper (SENDCO). This can be done by calling the office to arrange a call back on 01773 712505 or by emailing Miss Cooper at

Will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child's learning?

If the school have concerns about your child's learning, you will be contacted to arrange a meeting with your child's class teacher and Miss Cooper (SENDCO).  In this meeting, staff will ask you if you have any concerns, they will share their concerns and together we will implement a plan to support your child.

How will teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Lessons are planned to meet the specific needs of all children within the class so that progress can be made. Planning will be adapted if/when needed to fully support your child. Teaching assistants can give support to children where needed. In addition, children can receive additional resources to support their understanding of key concepts e.g. base 10 can be used to support place value knowledge.

What support can Marlpool give me as a parent of a child with SEND?

If any other professional agencies work with your child, a report will be sent to you and/or any outcomes will be discussed with you. Furthermore, your child's IEP target will be discussed with you by their class teacher.

Miss Cooper (SENDCO) is available to meet with you to discuss your child's progress or any concerns you may have. 


Keeping up with all the abbreviations and acronyms can be confusing so here is a glossary of some that you may come across.

SEN - Special Educational Needs

SENDCO - Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator. The person that is in charge of Special Needs for the school.

CoP - The Code of Practice is the guide given by the government on how to approach special needs in schools.

IEP - Individual Education Plan. The plan which your child's targets are written on. Review - A meeting about a child's progress and what to do next.

ASD - Autistic Spectrum Disorder

SALT - Speech and language therapist

EP - Educational psychologist

BSS – Behaviour Support Service

AO – Autism Outreach Service

ADD -Attention Deficit Disorder

ADHD - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

TA - Teaching Assistant

OCD – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder